The National Art Gallery Committee (NAGC) was established in September 1998 under the chairmanship of Ms. Alissandra Cummins, Director of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society.
The Committee's mandate is to develop plans for the development of the Barbados National Art Gallery, establish and implement a programme of activities necessary to achieve those goals, recruit consultants and staff necessary to implement the programme, manage the funds and activities of the Committee, and develop a work schedule and programme necessary to meet these goals. The Committee is charged with the responsibility to:
In addition, following Cabinet's approval in 2001 of proposals for a National Collections Policy, the Committee has been mandated to provide curatorial and documentation services for the management of the National Collection (over 1000 works) and to advise government on associated activities as required.
- Research relevant sources and data
- Review and evaluate existing proposals
- Analyze implications of draft cultural policy
- Prepare terms of reference for consultants
- Recruit, appoint and implement consultancies
- Consult with identified agencies
- Draft annual programme proposals and budgetary analysis
- Prepare phased work schedules for each year
- Prepare and produce Annual Reports for each year by the core Committee
- Prepare and review of the draft Final Report by the core Committee